What order do lists and transactions need to be imported into QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT)?
When importing lists and transactions into QBDT with Transaction Pro Importer, the lists and transactions should be imported in the same order as they would be manually entered into QBDT. This is the same whether importing into a new QBDT company file or an existing QBDT company file.
SUGGESTED IMPORT ORDER
Other Names (1)
Item Assembly (1)
Item Fixed Assets (1)
Item Sales Tax (1)
Price Level List
(1) If migrating data from QBO to QBDT, these lists will not be among the lists exported from QBO.
Import transactions after all list have been imported.
Transfers (Bank Transfers)
Purchase Orders (2)
Item Receipts with Bills (2)
Vendor Credits (2) (8)
Credit Card Charges
Credit Card Credits
Sales Orders (2)(4)
Credit Memos (2) (8)
Receive Payments (5) (6)
Statement Charge (7)
(2) Unless the history is desired, skip importing these items and import an Inventory Adjustment instead to import the current Inventory balances and values. Two separate imports will be needed: one for quantities and one for value. Then import only open Purchase Orders, Vendor Credits, Bills, Sales Orders, Credit Memos, and Invoices.
(3) Estimates are for history purposes only. They cannot be converted into Sales Orders through a Transaction Pro import.
(4) To convert Sales Orders to Invoice, the command line /INVOICESO=1 is required to be added, which will add the additional import type INVOICE LINK SALES ORDER. Read more about this feature HERE.
(5) To group payments of multiple invoices into a single transaction, use the command line /RECPAY2. Read more about this feature HERE.
(6) Deposits cannot be made from Undeposited Funds with Importer. It will have to be handled manually in QBDT. It is suggested that one large Deposit is done for all Undeposited Funds transactions to clear the account.
(7) If migrating data from QBO, Statement Charges will not be a transaction type exported from QBO.
(8) Vendor Credits and Credit Memos are not automatically applied to open Bills or Invoices. This must be handled manually in QBDT.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IMPORTER CANNOT IMPORT THE FOLLOWING DATA FROM ONE QBDT COMPANY FILE TO ANOTHER:
Bank Reconciliations (9)
Payroll Data / History
(9) If migrating data from one QBDT company to another, it is suggested to do one bank reconciliation as of the last date reconciled in the previous company and clear all cleared items at once to be ready to do the next month's reconciliation.