Can a Positive Pay file be exported from QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) with Transaction Pro that can be sent to my financial institution?
In an effort to reduce fraudulent paper checks, most financial institutions offer a Positive Pay system that allows banks to match checks presented to checks actually written. In order to utilize this system, the Depositor must upload the files containing the details of checks written to the bank's website.
Transaction Pro Exporter can created the necessary file from QBDT (includes Pro, Premier, and Enterprise), depending on the bank's requirements. Before beginning, ask the bank for their specific layout requirements for the file.
Below is an example of a bank's required file format. The bank has also indicated that the file needs to be formatted as a .csv file.
When a check is issued in QBDT, the CHECK NUMBER, ISSUE DATE, DOLLAR AMOUNT, and PAYEE information are captured and available with a CHECK export. The ACCOUNT NUMBER and ISSUE/VOID INDICATOR are not fields that are available with a CHECK export.
Exporter can add additional User-Defined Fields (UDFs), however, with the use of the Command Line /USER_FIELDS=x (where x equals the number of UDFs that are needed. Read more about Exporter Command Lines HERE. For this Export, two UDFs will need to be added.
To add the Command Line:
- Right click on the Exporter shortcut and select PROPERTIES
- Go to the SHORTCUT tab
- At the end of the TARGET address, leave a space, and enter /USER_FIELDS=2
- Click APPLY
- Click OK
NOTE: The Command Line will only need to be added the first time the Export is performed. It will be saved for all future exports.
Once the Command Line has been entered, launch Exporter for the shortcut.
In Exporter, select the following Options
- EXPORT TYPE = CHECK
- DATE = Date of Check Run to be sent to the bank
- Select SUPPRESS TRANSACTION LINES
- EXPORT FORMAT = CSV
- Unselect OPEN EXCEL AFTER CREATING FILE
- Click RETRIEVE DATA
Once the data is retrieved, click the SELECT FIELDS button to open the Mapping window.
- Select the six Fields that need to be exported: CHECK NUMBER, TXNDATE, PAYEE, AMOUNT, USER DEFINED 1, and USER DEFINED 2
- Change the Field Label (Column Header) to match the bank's requirement
- Select the Field Order for each of the six Fields to match the bank's requirement
- Enter any STATIC/DEFAULT data that needs to be included in the exported file (two UDFs)
- Click SAVE AS to save the map for future use
Click OK to return to the main Exporter screen, where only the six fields will now be displayed.
If the bank's requirement is to not have a Header Row (Column Headers), select the OPTION tab and select the Option SUPPRESS HEADER ROW IN EXPORT FILE.
Once all selections have been made, click the EXPORT TO FILE button and select where to save and what to name the exported Positive Pay file. Once exported, upload the file to the bank's site per the bank's instructions.